Laughter Road

Monday, June 05, 2006

tell it to me, tell it to me--

Washington, D.C., was great, and I really enjoyed getting to see Prairie Home Companion. Kellior walked out on stage wearing a black suit, a red bow tie, and red Pumas. Special guests were an amazing gospel singer named Jerylyn Steel (I think), and a bluegrass boy band called the Old Crow Medicine Show. I downloaded their album as soon as I got back, and have been especially enjoying "Tell it to Me."

We went to the Internation Spy Museum, which Steve recommended, the National Gallery, where I got to see some great art and also some Degas sculptures, the National Cathedral, and the place that easliy be classified as Librarian Mecca: the Library of Congress. Unfortunately, by that point in the day all I wanted to do was sit down and rest my feet, but I still enjoyed it. They've got one of only ten perfect copies of the Gutenberg Bible on display.

Favorite Moments:
--standing with the rest of the 5,000 or so other people at Prairie Home and singing the national anthem in honor of Memorial Day.
--taking part in the Eucharist at the National Cathedral.
--traveling with my mom, which translates into the fancy clubrooms at the airports.

____________________________________________________________________

Yesterday was Pentecost, which is celebrated with red vestements and altar hangings. The priest said during the service that in the Middle Ages churches would often put people in the rafters so they could sprinkle red rose petals on the people below, which was supposed to signify the flames of fire that descended from heaven.
It was amusing to hear the passages about glossilalia and healings. The frozen chosen, indeed.
Church starts at 10:30, and usually runs about 75-80 minutes, but this week we were finished in under an hour...the sermon was brisk, to say the least. We've got an interim priest at the moment, and whenever I look at him I think how much he looks like Captian Kangaroo.

_____________________________________________________________________
Bill Engvall is going to be in Tunica this weekend, but it looks like I'm going to miss him for the second time around. *sigh* maybe next time. I had a great "Here's your sign" moment with someone this weekend, but in an effort to stay off of a certain list, I'll refrain from posting it here.

2 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

The lack of publishing the "here's your sign" moment is appreciated. But you're still on "the list"...just one less big "X" by your name.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How far above sea level are we now?" spoken by one we love sitting on the deck of a cruise ship.

"Oh, I guess about 20 feet." says your dad looking over the side of the boat at the sea below.

Here's your sign!

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BloggerNetwork.org

personal loan uk, home loan uk, secured loan uk, unsecured loan uk,  car loan uk
Personal Loan UK