Laughter Road

Friday, September 09, 2005

the pile is 3 ft. high...

I'm refering to the pile of books I've read in the past 7 weeks. Here are a few of them...
Eragorn and Eldest, both by Christopher Paolini, a homeschooled child prodigy who wrote the first book when he was 17. I think he read a lot of J.R.R. Tolkien and watched a lot of Star Wars growing up. Bacis story? An orphan boy, living in the boondocks, finds he has special powers and then discoveres a mentor (a reclusive older man living in the same vicinity, who, it turns out, has been watching over the boy his whole life.) Boy' s family is killed by agents who work for the evil king, boy and man then embark on an adventure. The find a renegade and a princess along the way. Great secret is revealed about boy's parentage. Story continues. It took me about 3 chapters to say to myself, Hey, this is StarWars! I enjoyed them, anyway.

Speaking of Star Wars, I wil reveal how much of a geek I am at times and reveal that I read nine Star Wars sequel books recently, from those authors that write in the continuing-the-story genre. . This is not a usual genre for me. I don't read a lot of science fiction/fantasy. They were recommended, and I enjoyed them out by the pool.

Learning to Bow, by Bruce Feiler, about the years he spent in Japan teaching English. Great book.

Marjorie Morningstar, by Howard Wouk. A coming-of-age story, set in the 1930's, about a Jewish New York girl who decides she wants to become an actress. Just as Judy Blume's Forever and Are You There God? It's me, Margaret were books that every teenage girl in my generation read, Morningstar was that kind of book for the generation before us.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, again.

Books I'm looking forward to this month?
A Breath of Snow and Ashes, by Diana Gabaldon. This will be the 6th book in the series, and the first in more than two years. I re-read the entire series this summer in preparation. It took me about a month, the books are each about 1000 pages.

Anasazi Boys, by Neil Gaiman.

And, I just got a bunch of books in the mail, and I raided my reserve collection in my room back home, and my new library card is burning a hole in my pocket.

I'm pretty sure by literary abuse problem is getting out of hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

BloggerNetwork.org

personal loan uk, home loan uk, secured loan uk, unsecured loan uk,  car loan uk
Personal Loan UK