Laughter Road

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Worth the Hype?

Title: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Author: J.K. Rowling

I just finished the new Harry Potter book. It took me just under 24 hours, which is about right. I'll read it again in a few days.
However, I wasn't as impressed with this one as I have been in the past. All of Dumbledore's speeches seemed very stilted, for one thing. Another thing; Rowling has mastered the art of the cliffhanger, but I think she uses it too much. I could talk about it more, but I don't want to ruin the story for you. I know Michael and Kelly are both reading it as we speak.
I went online to try tofind some reviews of the novel, but it's hard to find anything buy 12 year olds gushing about how it's the best book they've ever read.

I called Michael on Saturday as I was driving out to get my copy, and he has, coincidentally, just recieved his copy in the mail. The box had "Do not read until July 16" printed on it, and we talked about how, if it had been delievered early, there was no way Michael would have been able to resist opening it, and then leaking it to the rest of us. Then we discussed what a gag order is, and how I would have no fun visiting him in jail, where he would surely have to trade his ill=gotten Harry Potter book for cigarettes. (The cigarettes aren't for him, they're for his cell-mate, who would them promise not to kill him in the night.) I totally think J.K. Rowling would not hesitate to do all this, especially after all the wrath visited on those kids in Canada.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michel said...

yes, but I look damn good in a orange jump suit... but then again... in prison I don't think I want to look good... yipes!!!

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought mine online and it was supposed to come on Saturday, but it didn't, and actually still hasn't! How could they do this to me? So I went on Saturday evening and bought it.

But I enjoyed it. I love how descriptive Rowling is as a writer. You can really visualize the picture that she is trying to create. I went and looked up reviews too. They're mixed, some saying Rowling recycled the same material she's written in the other books. I think you should be a professional book reviewer.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Well...its one of those things that I just don't get. I don't hate HP, I just have never read any of the books. But I feel like such an outsider. I'll end up caving in to the peer-pressure sooner or later

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BloggerNetwork.org

personal loan uk, home loan uk, secured loan uk, unsecured loan uk,  car loan uk
Personal Loan UK