Laughter Road

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Various

1. I just read a job ad for an archivist for the Blue Man Group. You know, the men who do the shows with their faces painted blue? How cool of a job would that be? Moreover, how VERY cool is it that they actually understood that they needed an archivist to organize all that stuff, and not farm it out to an organizational person.

2. I bought a cute skirt from Target a couple of weeks ago, and wore it twice. Then the zipper broke. Actually, the zipper didn’t break, it refused to work….while I was still in it. The waistband was fitted so I couldn’t just slip it off. I discovered the problem while I was in the Old Navy dressing room—alas, I had to leave my items behind because I was trapped in my clothes. I called Bret for help (don’t worry, Mama, you don’t need to stop reading) and we stood in his kitchen as he worked on the zipper for a quarter hour with furrowed brow and much sighing. It would come down an inch, but no more. He applied soap, force, threats and finally offered scissors. I declined, because then what would I have worn home? I finally got out of it later that night, but only by cutting myself out. Goodbye, cute skirt.


3. I have been working on a collection that includes a lot of photos of dead people. I have learned to identify whether or not they are dead American soldiers or dead Japanese soldiers simply by examining the kind of leggings they are wearing (wrapped vs. buttoned). This is necessary because uniforms that are coated in sand and dried blood lose most of their identifying characteristics, and the faces are usually too far away to make out. This job has added weird new skill sets to my resume. I can differentiate between Howitzers and mortars, I know the troop structure that existed from WWI to Vietnam, and have even touched sand that came all the way from the beach at Iwo Jima on the day the Marines landed. Cool, eh? The archival question is—does each grain get its own number? (that’s an archivist joke, its ok if you don’t get it).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take destroyed skirt back to Target - get money back or another skirt! Your story is too strange not to be believed!

M

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really wish I knew what you were talking about because what you're doing sounds really cool.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Angie Manfredi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Angie Manfredi said...

HAH to all the people that say our degree is worthless! ;)

And we *really* need to get together soon, because I am moving at the end of the month!!! So, call, text, e-mail, etc. let's make it happen!

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BloggerNetwork.org

personal loan uk, home loan uk, secured loan uk, unsecured loan uk,  car loan uk
Personal Loan UK